Monday, April 11, 2011

Trucker Steve (I hope he makes it.)

My job brings me into contact with truck drivers many times daily. Some of them are annoying, some are jerks, but most are pretty cool. Last Saturday i was working and a driver came in to "live unload". This means he must sit and wait while his trailer is unloaded. I usually enjoy talking to these guys, but this one was different. He touched me. Not in the way that some of you are thinking, shame on you. Perverts. He was truly a good person that had made lots of mistakes, embraced his past, and was committed to changing his future.

He told me that he's just gotten back to driving after 8 weeks in the hospital with peritonitis, and several other gastric problems brought on by drinking, after that he was in detox. He started drinking because he always felt different from everyone else, he never fit in, and messed up every relationship he ever had with family and friends.

He told me that while in the hospital he was diagnosed for the first time with a chemical imbalance in his brain. He did not remember what the name of his disease was but with tears running down his face he told me "I never knew my brain was messed up. I always just thought I was a horrible person." He described his past, impulsive bouts of anger, then drinking out of regret for what he's done. Splitting open his brothers head with a 2x4 because he thought his brother was going to kill his mother when he picked up a knife at a family BBQ. Then going to jail and not understanding why his mother would not back his story up, because to him, it was real.

Some of you may be thinking this guy is just nuts and doesn't belong in society but I saw something different. A man that was amazed that a medicine and someone to talk to could make him "normal" and I saw his sadness because now that his mind is clear, he clearly sees the wreckage of his past. He has embraced his problems and failures, has committed himself to righting the wrongs, and getting his life "normal".

I try not to get to personal with people I see at work. This guy is gonna stick with me for awhile though. Before he left I shook his hand and wished him good luck. Also asked him to look me up next time he delivers to I.P. so I can check in with him. I don't know if he'll make it on his road to recovery, but I sure hope he does. Say a little prayer for trucker Steve tonight, he's spent his whole life in hell, lets see if we can get him closer to heaven.

Peace and Love ya'll

Bobby

No comments:

Post a Comment