Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Below is my interview with Christopher Todd Davis. He is a great artist and I recommend you check out his CD titled Patience is a Virtue You will also find many videos on Youtube from him. Great music from a great guy, check him out, you won't be sorry.


1. Who are your biggest musical influences?
KISS, CHEAP TRICK, WAYLON JENNINGS, GRAM PARSONS, LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM just to name a scattered few...

2. What was your first guitar?
My actual first guitar, other than tennis rackets that I MADE INTO GUITARS, was one that had no brand name on it. It had a bunch of toggle switches and buttons on it. Not your typical guitar. It had a tobacco sunburst finish and strat type body style. Probably some mail order or TV guitar. I paid 15 bucks for it.

3. Do you still have it?
No, was just saying last night that I wish I still had every guitar I have ever owned. Oh, except one.. I had a Kramer "Striker" for a while when I was 18 or 19 that I am glad to be parted with.. That thing wouldn't stay in tune for NOTHING !

4. How did you get the gig to sing a song for the "Guitar Hero 3" game?
Well, first off I used to sing in an Alice Cooper tribute band called THE SICK THINGS. So one day a close friend of mine gets a call from a friend of HIS and the guy wants the number to the local DJ, because he does these things called "Twisted Tunes" where he tries to find singers that sound just like the original, but have them sing funny words over the tune instead. For instance, he once did the song "What If God was one of us?" and had the singer change it to 'What If God smoked cannabis?" That kind of thing. Well the guy on the other end of my buddy's phone wanted that DJ's number so he could find someone who sounded like Alice Cooper. My buddy said, "you don't need to call anyone, I know just the guy." The next day I was in the studio singing the song. Funny thing tho, I recorded my vocal BEFORE they recorded the music. Modern technology !!

5. Where is your favorite place on earth?

Well, I haven't done an extensive amount of traveling. But there is an old military base up on the Islands north of Seattle called Fort Casey. It was built in 1897 in case of an attack. No gun was ever fired there. It was never used. But it IS in the movie "An Officer and a Gentlemen" when dude is making Richard Gere do the push ups out in the rain. That is Fort Casey. It is in other scenes of that movie as well. I am not sure why I like it so much there, but I can go and hang out there all day long. You can spend hours walking around this place, underground into dark bunkers, way above ground where all the canons are still in place. It is just, for some weird reason, relaxing to me to hang out there...
Lately tho, it is Leipers Fork TN.
I love the vibe of that place...

6. What's next with your music, are you working on a new record?
I have the songs for a new record and I keep saying I am going to start one, but I am a little technically challenged when it comes to using the studio here. Every time I think I figure it out and I am ready to record there seems to be something else I don't know that holds me up. But I do hope to get started on it soon... I really like a lot of the new material I have written for it. Now if I can just get it recorded the way I hear it in my head. THAT is always the biggest problem...

7. What would you say is your "dream venue" for a show?
Saturday Night Live. Can't explain why. Some folks will say playing a big venue... for me... SNL has always been it. I know that's funny, but it's true. Perhaps I should learn to set my sights higher.. HAHA

8. It's well known that you hate tomatoes. Is this just the fruit itself or tomato based items such as spaghetti sauce as well?
Just the tomato. I do not like BIG SLICES of tomato on my food. I can handle small diced ones to a certain extent. But I have no problem with catchup or Spaghetti Sauce. I am weird, what can I tell ya...

9. What is your favorite song of all time, and why?
Well, I used to very quickly say MY WAY. Elvis' version, although Franks version is great too. I just love that Elvis live version... But I am not really sure I have a favorite ALL TIME song. I love so much music, it really changes from day to day...

10. How do you feel about ducks?
Well, I grew up in Oregon.... so sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night like Billy Bob Thornton in that movie "BANDITS." I just wake up and scream "BEAVERS AND DUCKS" for NO REASON AT ALL !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment