Thursday, May 7, 2009

Stop The World. I Want To Get Off

There is a product available that I feel may end the world as we know it, and I want either myself or it removed from the earth. The product is called "Kindle" sold by www.amazon.com it's an electronic book reader. In just a few minutes you can search for what you want, buy the book, and download it directly to this evil product. They claim the display screen is "just like ink and paper".

What is wrong with REAL ink and paper books? I love books. I love to read. I greatly enjoy going to my local library and choosing books. Libraries have a smell unlike any other place, it's a mixture of old books, leather bindings, and knowledge. I go to the library at least once a week, it's fun for me and somewhat exciting. I enjoy wandering the stacks until a book catches my eye, and knowing after reading the back cover that it's going to be great, I can hardly wait to get home and begin reading it.

The librarians seem to enjoy seeing me at the library as much as I enjoy being there. I'm sure I am somewhat of an oddity to them. It can't be often someone that looks like I do checks out books that have nothing to do with tattoos, redneckism, or fixing a transmission. I read an average of 3 books a week, I'm sure this is also somewhat unusual for a person that looks like I do. One librarian in particular thinks it's funny that I have checked out every one of Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels, they are hilarious. You know what they say, you can't judge a book by looking at the cover.........

My taste in books is widely varied. Everything from Native American history to Plato's Republic to a good crime mystery. I recently found a book called "Chasing Fireflies" by an author named Charles Martin. It's one of the most amazing books I have ever read. Had I not been wandering the library for the cover to catch my eye I would still be without the knowledge and wonder this book gave me. No electronic book can give you that. I had never heard of the author before, so I would not have found him on any electronic book database.

An electronic book can never replicate the smell of a brand new book, nor the smell of a classic book. It can never replace the creak of the book spine, or the feeling of satisfaction of flipping to that final page and seeing it all come together. Technology can be a good thing, but leave my books alone.

Do yourselves a favor, go to your local library. The whole world is inside just waiting to be discovered.

3 comments:

  1. You're just upset because you can't download Penthouse Letters on Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam, I have never used a Kindle, nor will I ever. You must be a voice of experience an I will take your word for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't have to worry about the pages sticking together with a Kindle.

    ReplyDelete